Pages

Friday, February 22, 2008

Weedy Bay


I could just play and play with pastel landscapes right now. This one probably needs to be tweaked over the next week, but basically I'm happy with it. It's simple.

I have an idea for a self imposed landscape challenge for the month of March or April. Maybe. I'm thinking about something ...

Again, the camera seems to emphasize some colors and ignore others. In reality, it's not quite so ... purple. I mean, there IS purple, but it's more blended than it appears here. Anyone with ideas on how to photograph pastels so that they look right the first time? I don't want to mess around in a photo editing program. I'd rather spend the time on the art. :-)

9 comments:

annie said...

Wish I could offer you a suggestion on the photography but I can't think of anything. Still, the artwork looks good. I enjoy seeing it.

Unknown said...

Terrific - very watery water! I like what you are doing with these, very much! Have you played around with the white balance on your camera at all? If not, that's where I would start...

William F. Renzulli said...

Your pastel paintings are delightful. I hope you will continue to work with them.

Teri said...

Beautiful!!! You have created a wonderful mood here.

Linda said...

Thank you guys! Diahn -- good idea about the white balance. I can also bracket the exposure. Don't know why I hadn't thought about it, but it's funny -- the camera on my cell phone takes it perfectly, so you're probably right!

Lin said...

LINDA LINDA LINDA!! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS AS IT IS!!! That purple just draws in the eye .. the blue resting the eye along with the incredible marshy water .... the cloud and sky -- awesome ... hon, this is GLORIOUS!! TRULY FRAME READY!

pedalpower said...

Beautiful.......looove the water!

Mark Kwasny said...

I have oil pastel sticks and can only hope that I can put onto paper and canvas what you have. These are beautifully done. I find myself pulled in just looking at them. Getting lost in art... I love it!

Mark

Unknown said...

You look like you are feeling comfortable with pastels now.
Beautiful landscape. Wish I ahd and answer for you on photographing. I end up in photoshop afterwards.

Have you tried pastels on suede mat board? You don't have to prepare the board just paint.